Regional travel in Peru – Travel program PTW-CUS007-en
4 days / 3 nights – Start: daily
Alternative trekking tour to Machu Picchu, passing the snow-capped Salkantay. Highest point: 4600 m.
• 5:00 h hotel pickup.
• Bus ride to Soraypampa at the end of the road.
• Start of the trek, uphill to the pass at 4600 m.
• Camp at Arayanniyoj, at 3600 m.
• After breakfast we trek downhill towards Huinaypojo.
• Spectacular views of the surrounding snow-capped mountains along the way.
• As the altitude decreases, the vegetation changes noticeably: we can see orchids, begonias and various species of birds.
• Camp in Playa, at 1950 m.
• Today we continue downhill, crossing fields planted with coffee, bananas, yuca and passion fruit.
• After Lucmabamba it's a 3 hour steep climb to Llactapata.
• On the opposite mountain we can already see Machu Picchu.
• Downhill to Urubamba river. We have good opportunities to see toucans, cock of the rock (gallito de las rocas), ketzals, hummingbirds and ducks. Alternatively, there is an easier route through the Urubamba valley, part of which can be driven.
• In the afternoon we reach Aguas Calientes.
• Overnight at the hotel in Aguas Calientes.
• After an early breakfast we take the bus (also possible to walk) up to the ruins of Machu Picchu.
• Guided tour to Machu Picchu.
• Free time, e.g. to climb Wayna Picchu.
• 4 pm return by train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco.
• Arrival in Cusco around 20 h.
This hike can also be done as a five-day tour.
• Transport to Soraypampa.
• Horses for food and equipment.
• Camping gear (2 man tents and mats).
• Dining tent, cooking tent, tables and chairs.
• Meals until lunch on day 3.
• Guide (bilingual spanish/english) for the trek and Machu Picchu.
• Overnight stay in a hostal in Aguas Calientes, including breakfast.
• Entry to the ruins of Machu Picchu.
• Return by backpacker train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco.
• Sleeping bag (can be borrowed).
• Hiking poles (optional).
• Meals in Aguas Calientes.
• Extra horse to carry personal luggage.
• Horse to ride.
• Bus up to Machu Picchu on Day 4.
• Entrance Wayna Picchu.
• Alcoholic drinks.
Note: Changes may be made to improve the various activities, as well as for climatic or organizational reasons.
WhatsApp (51) 994633845